Inaugural YANA Europe Event | Public Health Spotlight
Dr. Uy Hoang gave a spotlight presentation on the public health film festival this year in Liverpool, UK where one of the themes will be the effect of inequalities on health. Dr. Hoang discussed the history of the Public Health Film Society, of which he is the co-founder and current President, and the role of film in creating and disseminating evidence-based public health messages as a means of intervention and changing public health-related behavior. Dr. Hoang works as a public health researcher at the UK National Sentinel Surveillance Centre based at the University of Surrey. He graduated from the Yale School of Public Health in 2006.
A video of the presentation is available HERE.
Dr. Hoang’s presentation slides
Additional Resources mentioned by Dr. Hoang:
- A Lancet paper that describes the work of Development Media International, an NGO which specializes in developing evidenced-based radio, TV and mobile campaigns to change behavior and improve the lives of women and children in Africa;
- The UK Faculty of Public Health’s Special Interest Groups on Africa and Global Violence Prevention are beginning to use film in their work:
All Special Interest Groups | Global Violence Prevention SIGs | Africa Public Health
- Public health/mental health films:
- Scottish Mental Health Arts & Film Festival
- The American Public Health Association Global Health Film Festival
- The Global Health Film Festival of the RSM
- Medfest (sponsored by the Royal College of Psychiatrists)
Uy Hoang is the co-founder and current President of the Public Health Film Society. He also works as a public health researcher at the UK National Sentinel Surveillance Centre based at the University of Surrey. He graduated from the Yale School of Public Health in 2006.
Rachel Littman is a Co-Chair of the YANA New England Chapter and a member of the YANA Board and Executive Committee. She is also the Chair of the Board of Moses Brown School in Providence, RI and runs her own social inequality focused website, SeeTheGaps.org. She graduated from Yale College in 1991.