Hope to see you there!
Looking forward to seeing many of you on Wednesday, June 27th!
Spotlight will feature Kevin Jennings ’85 Harvard, a friend of YANA and President of the Tenement Museum , a nonprofit that preserves and interprets the history of immigration through the experience of those who settled in and built lives on Manhattan’s Lower East Side, America’s iconic immigrant neighborhood.
Yale Community Connect: Seeking volunteer engagement beyond the Yale Day of Service? You’ll find a range of programs through Yale Community Connect.To learn more, please contact Alison Gardy.
Current YC Connect opportunities include:
- Brownsville Partnership (July 21, 10:00am-12:00pm): Howard Playground beautification project in partnership with The Mission Continues followed by lunch & tour of Brownsville, Brooklyn
- Mosaic Preparatory Academy (July 9-Aug 2): Summer School Tutors; Back-to-School Block Jam Activity Leaders (Aug 31)
- GallopNYC: Ongoing volunteer opportunities in therapeutic horsemanship programs for children and adults with disabilities and special needs, including Veterans and at-risk youth
- Harlem Children’s Zone: Paid Part-Time Summer Evening Position: Community Pride Program Specialist/Service Learning Coordinator (college students and recent grads encouraged to apply)
- iMentor: Mentors for high school students (particularly seeking men volunteers)
- Young Center for Immigrant Children’s Rights: Volunteers needed to serve as Child Advocates (Must be 21+, complete background check & have consistent availability)
- The Bridal Garden (NYC): Volunteer Weekend Retail Positions
- West Side Campaign Against Hunger: M-F Volunteer Opportunities
Nonprofit Board Vacancy: Natural Areas Conservancy is seeking board members who are passionate about the environment and improving NYC. Contact Sarah Charlop-Powers ’09 FES
AGENDA [details to follow]
June 27, 2018
Conference Dial In
New York Events
- Society, Innovation & Food Event, co-hosted by Accelerate Yale, Yale Blue-Green, & Yale-in-NY, July 17th, Grace
- Brownsville Partnership Volunteer Opportunity, July 21st, Alison
- Mosaic Preparatory Academy Summer 2018 Opportunities, Alison
- Yale Community Connect, a series of ongoing programs, Alison
- Family Caregiving as a Public Health Issue, co-sponsored with the Yale School of Public Health, Sept. 20th, Peg
- YANA-Dwight Hall Fellowship, Joe
Interactive Session: Reflections, Connections, and Collaborations
Spotlight: Kevin Jennings, President of the Tenement Museum
Next Meeting: Wednesday, July 25th – Spotlight will feature Griffin Pinkow, founder of the Foreseeable Future Foundation, a nonprofit that focuses on improving the lives of the visually impaired through the power of the arts, athletics, and music. Griffin has completed four marathons, competes at the national level in cycling, and recently learned to snowboard – all while being blind. Join us next month to hear his remarkable story.